Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Touch typing

Thomas was working on the IT infrastructure programme plan when his head of section, Samantha, came into his office. She was stunning, as usual. She gave him a provocative glance, moved towards his desk, perhaps standing a little closer than the normal collegial distance would allow, and looked at him working.
Why not, Thomas thought. I can also play that game.
He started caressing the keys as he was typing, sometimes touching the mouse with sensual dexterity. She leaned a little bit closer. With an audacity he knew that he would regret, he did two blank lines and started a new paragraph

Would you care to meet me later, maybe for a drink? You look absolutely gorgeous, as always.

Then he paused a moment, waiting for the sky to fall down over his head. It didn't. Samantha only said:
- Good work, Thomas. Will the report be ready before the meeting?
Thomas cursed inwardly, how could he have been so stupid.
- Yes of course, he said in a rather cool voice.

That evening, as Thomas drowned his humiliation at the local pub, Samantha told the little anecdote to her husband, Jens.
- Today, I went into that IT guy's office, and it was absolutely amazing. I had to stay and look. You wouldn't believe it, the way he was touching the keyboard, it was as if he had fallen in love with it. The way he was caressing the mouse. Come on, computers are nice but I wouldn't call them sexy.
- IT guys are always like that, Jens said.
- I must have seemed extremely stupid, Samantha mused. As I watched him typing, I suddenly started wondering whether you can touch-type with crossed hands or not. I must have stood there for ages, thinking about it. Then I had to say something, so I asked whether he would get his report ready on time. He seemed really annoyed that I'm checking what he's doing, I just hope this isn't going to blow into a conflict with the IT staff.
- You know what I always say, Jens said. 80 % of everything that happens only happens in our own heads. There is probably no reason to worry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home